Wednesday, March 14, 2012

thinking about language in Lawrence Weiner's terms

"Press Release:
Throughout his practice Lawrence Weiner has pursued inquiries into languages and a radical redefinition of the artist-viewer relationship. Translating his investigations into linguistic structures and visual systems across varied formats and manifestations, he has produced books, films, videos, performances and audio works. The belief at the core of Lawrence Weiner’s work is that art is a material reality between human beings and objects and between sets of objects in relation to human beings. Weiner considers language to be a sculptural material and believes that a construction can function as adequately as a fabricated object. His statement of intent published in 1969 states:
THE ARTIST MAY CONSTRUCT THE WORK
THE WORK MAY BE FABRICATED
THE WORK NEED NOT BE BUILT
EACH BEING EQUAL AND CONSISTENT WITH THE INTENT OF THE ARTIST
THE DECISION AS TO CONDITION RESTS WITH THE RECEIVER UPON THE OCCASION OF RECEIVERSHIP
As a proposition of statement, each work need not to be confined to an existence in one realised form, place or time but might be constructed in different contexts."

...............

I've been somewhat familiar with Weiner's work for quite a few years now, but I never sat down and really considered anything that was written about it. I had always taken the work in, processed it for myself, and that was that. Well, after Jenny told me to look at Kay Rosen, I revisited Lawrence Weiner, and I've been thinking about his work a lot - as well as what was written about him in the press release above. 
I have been mulling over this idea of language as a sculptural material, in tandem with the thought that art exists as the material reality between humans and objects, and the relationship among several thereof. I agree that the in-between is key, because without the human being, the object would simply exist but never be experienced and communicated about. 
Thinking about those two ideas in tandem made me even more excited about concretely realizing the installation idea that came up during my critique: to make "bricks" with my encaustic works that ultimately are piled and composed together to form letters of words. When I picture this idea in my head, it's a huge installation that feels very sculptural in the way that they occupy space, but at the same time, I picture them juuuust large enough that people can walk among the letters almost as though the letters are anthropomorphic.
I need more "bricks" cut down to 6"x12" ! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dawn,
    Duchamp is often quoted for his thoughts on where meaning resides in art (is it in the object or the viewer?). He believed it occurred in-between the two. This answer doesn't specify a location, rather, it suggested that a relationship must be created in order for there to be a place for meaning.
    The brick project is ambitious, and definitely worth pursuing. I think it'll be interesting for you to experience text that is not only physical, but spatial in this manner.
    J

    ReplyDelete